Sunday 26 January 2014

Pencillium digitatum on oranges.


This is a microscopic pic of the mold that grows on oranges, it is from the genus pencillium but its not that pencillium which Alexander Fleming found killing staphyloccocus bacteria. this is pencillium digitatum! This fungi feeds on citric acid in some fruits.
It starts out as white dots and then becomes greenish blue. I had an orange will some greenish mold on it and I Put it on my roof under the shade next to the water tank. after a week I saw it and found out that the greenish mold had stayed the same, the orange was softer and some white mold started growing individually on other areas, today I saw it with some greeny spots in the middle.
The green one above is the previous mold and the white is the new one, notice small green patches.
I dont know why but whenI lifted the orange the it tore away the peel so this hole was made. And the black stuff is dirt.
BTW this pic was taken a few hours ago and now I see it and its darker green. you can rub this on some agar which I told how to make in the previous post, and you will get some neat colonies of the fungus.
My conditions at the place where the orange is placed is dark, damp(because of the water tank next to it(the black wall in the pic) has a small leak in it, you can see some wet ground in the pic.), cold.
The fate of the orange: Its very soft now and mushy from inside, when I squeezed the orange very slightly, small drops of orange juice fell out from hole, you can see it in the pick, the wet region around the torn skin.



No comments:

Post a Comment